NOTE: THIS IS NOT A "MY CHILD IS HOLIER THAN THOU'" SORT OF POST.
I have to preface this story with this adorable photo. This was taken on Samuel's 5th birthday,and he decided to pray when I told him to make a wish and blow his candles out. Sweet? Yup. Charming? You bet. Misunderstanding? No! Let me explain my thought process on this one...
I would consider myself a "first generation Christian", (although I was raised Catholic). This intimate relationship with the Lord and "direct communication" with Him is something I am eager to share with my kids, but at times overwhelmed with. Letting the Holy Spirit lead is not what I grew with...but as the title of this post declares this is exactly what I did this morning on the way to preschool.
*8:30 am- On our way to ChristKids listening to Christian music and Sammy is intently listening to the lyrics. Something like "I'm running to the light". "Mom, what's that mean?" My answer was general, "Jesus is the brightest light bud, you know like when you have a question or prayer, you ask him. Whenever you're not sure what to do you run to the light (Jesus)."
Phew, I was pretty proud of myself. When the Lord knocked me off my gloating pedestal and Sam said "You know this little light of mine. Yea, well how come we are lights too?"
Oh, holy spirit I can't do this one on my own. Little help. (My condensed prayer). And out came this. "Sammy, you are a light, and you shine it for everyone to see that you believe in Jesus and have Him in your heart. It's important to go to Jesus, the brightest light to get charged up. To charge your little light then go out and tell everyone about Him". *silence* "Mom, did you forget my Optimus Prime?"
Not my words, the Holy Spirit was definitely with me! What a great morning as we had a real life devotional, not just one we read from a book!! This is exactly what the Lord has granted me, intimacy with Him, "direct communication" and being able to share that with my kiddos! Praise to Him who hears the longings of my heart!
We claimed the same verse when all 3 of our boys were dedicated to the Lord. Proverbs 22:6. We hope that we are training them up in the way they should go!
My little 5 year old has the most amazing little "moral compass" I have ever seen for someone his age (and even some adults). He is always asking to pray when he sees an ambulance, or when he knows of someone sick or hurting. His caring heart and genorosity are far beyond his years. At the grocery store he picked up a candy bar, set it down and asked to get the KING SIZE version to share with Sef. And, yes he shared with his brother, equally dividing the Kit Kat bar into 4 pieces each! He knows that the top bunk is for sleeping only, and tattles, I mean tells us when Sef is on it. (He just wants to keep him safe, I'm sure of it).
I would consider myself a "first generation Christian", (although I was raised Catholic). This intimate relationship with the Lord and "direct communication" with Him is something I am eager to share with my kids, but at times overwhelmed with. Letting the Holy Spirit lead is not what I grew with...but as the title of this post declares this is exactly what I did this morning on the way to preschool.
*8:30 am- On our way to ChristKids listening to Christian music and Sammy is intently listening to the lyrics. Something like "I'm running to the light". "Mom, what's that mean?" My answer was general, "Jesus is the brightest light bud, you know like when you have a question or prayer, you ask him. Whenever you're not sure what to do you run to the light (Jesus)."
Phew, I was pretty proud of myself. When the Lord knocked me off my gloating pedestal and Sam said "You know this little light of mine. Yea, well how come we are lights too?"
Oh, holy spirit I can't do this one on my own. Little help. (My condensed prayer). And out came this. "Sammy, you are a light, and you shine it for everyone to see that you believe in Jesus and have Him in your heart. It's important to go to Jesus, the brightest light to get charged up. To charge your little light then go out and tell everyone about Him". *silence* "Mom, did you forget my Optimus Prime?"
Not my words, the Holy Spirit was definitely with me! What a great morning as we had a real life devotional, not just one we read from a book!! This is exactly what the Lord has granted me, intimacy with Him, "direct communication" and being able to share that with my kiddos! Praise to Him who hears the longings of my heart!
1 comment:
So sweet and encouraging!! Love it! (From the mother of your future DIL!)
Post a Comment